Wednesday, January 8, 2020

2020 Reading: Brokeback Mountain

#37: A western


I actually finished this a few days ago but I didn't get a chance to write up a review until now.

I must say that the people who took this short story and wrote up a script (I learned it was Western writer Larry McMurtry and another person) did a magnificent job taking the little that was on these pages and fleshing it out onto a screenplay. The dialog was word-for-word and they managed to take what few descriptions that Proulx provided and along with Ang Lee, make a magnificent movie out of it.

I knew as soon as I saw the category "western" on the list for this year that I was going to read this book because this genre is just not in my wheelhouse so I was going to get away with reading something that catered to me no matter what, but I think that this story is just beautiful without being overly sentimental and flowery (which I'm not really overly fond of anyway) while maintaining the characteristics of the genre.

First book of the year! Woo!

No comments:

Post a Comment