Friday, September 26, 2014

2014 Reading: Sex and Violence


This book, being in the young adult section caught my eye one day and I knew that something had to be different about it. I picked t up and read the synopsis inside the jacket and found this:




Sex has always come without consequences for seventeen-year-old Evan. Until he hooks up with the wrong girl and finds himself in the wrong place at very much the wrong time. After an assault that leaves Evan scarred inside and out, he and his father retreat to the family cabin in rural Minnesota—which, ironically, turns out to be the one place where Evan can't escape other people. Including himself. It may also offer him his best shot at making sense of his life again.


Well, needless to say, I was intrigued.


The concept of the book is a good one, although I must say I thought it was going to take a drastically different turn than it actually did... Oh well, that's what I get for having such dirty thoughts in my head.



I do have to say that the one thing that really pissed me off about this book was the fact that the main character was 17-18 and he uses these juvenile terms for sex... Like, "doing it" or "making it"... I don't think he once calls it a grown up term. Sex. Fucking. I mean, it's not like there was no cursing in the book, there's TONS in this. Plus, there's drugs and alcohol and violence... and he says things like "boobies" and "my thing" in regards to his penis...


I like to think by the time I was 17-18, I had figured out more interesting terms for sexual organs.

And truthfully, I expected more PTSD. That may sound weird, but I am an odd person who loves other people's pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment