Friday, May 5, 2017

2017 Reading: Sliver

#49 A book you got from a used book sale


That heading could literally be nearly every book I own.

I picked this book up because I was a fan of his other books that I've read and the premise of this one seemed interesting. It reminded me a bit of that movie The Resident so I thought I would give it a shot.

It takes The Resident to a new level. The idea of watching other people live... It's why reality television was created. We want to see other people's drama because we don't want to have to deal with our own. And we become so attached to the 'story' and the 'characters' that we lash out at them. It's one thing to be mad at a character in a TV show or a movie, because on some level our brains know that they are fake, that this story is fiction. But when you take away the fiction, that attachment can stay the same, which is why people get death threats or things like that. Life does not have a happy ending yet when you watch the real world as if you were watching TV, you still expect it. When the end doesn't go how you want it, then that's when the madness starts.

Also, voyeurism (when not agreed upon beforehand in a calm, sane, and civil manner) is creepy.

And that dude had SO MANY mommy problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment