Monday, June 5, 2017

2017 Reading: This Side of Paradise

#50 A book that's been mentioned in another book


Okay, so he wrote this after Zelda broke up with him and thought getting this published would win her back. And it worked.

Umm, okay, sure. I don't see how that happened but whatever, they were weird people.

I'm starting to think that The Great Gatsby was a fluke because I have not really enjoyed anything else of his that I have read. Everything is ennui and changeful. Enough to make your head spin. One minute the main character is desperately in love and she loves him back then she gets a bruise on her neck and he tries to tell her it's okay and she breaks up with him and he's just all like "Yeah, okay, bye." WTF?!

I'm also lead to believe that this book is mostly based on Scott's life so I don't know how much of this happened and how much didn't but Jesus man... Everything just flits around all willy-nilly and no decisions get made.

When you get to the end, however, I think everything culminates into the last line and actually makes the whole novel come together into one simple idea.

"I know myself," he cried, "but that is all."

No comments:

Post a Comment