Thursday, August 23, 2018

2018 Reading: The Sociopath Next Door

#26 A book about mental health


Right after reading the introduction I know I was going to have my issues with this book. This person insists that sociopaths are deplorable beings who should be avoided at all costs and have no redeeming qualities to them whatsoever. I know that sociopathy is defined by the lack of conscience, but that does not mean the person is a criminal or less than human. It is something that they are born without. She likens it too much to psychopathy which, although CAN be a genetic trait, is more commonly something that is forced onto a person or persons through psychological trauma. And while it is true that psychopaths are most, if not all, sociopaths, that by no means proves that all sociopaths are psychopaths. So, now that I've had my little rant, I will continue to read passed the introduction...

Aaaaaaand now that I have, I would like to say that I still hold the same principles, but am now more informed about the matter according to this doctor and though some of my views have changed on the subject, some have resolutely not.

I like how this book took different perspectives on the concept of sociopathy, such as philosophy and religion, as well as that of science and psychology.

No comments:

Post a Comment