Wednesday, December 19, 2018

2018 Reading: The Road

#32 A book from a celebrity book club


You have to understand that post-apocalyptic stuff is really not my bag. The Last One and Maze Runner are the exceptions to this rule. When I picked up this book, I had no idea what it was about. I began to read the first few pages in the library and even though it wasn't something I was super-psyched about, I liked the writing style so I decided to keep going. It was also brought to my attention (thanks to NEXT year's reading challenge list) that this book is considered something called "cli-fi" which is, like, climate change fiction... I don't know.

Part of me was bothered with the fact that nothing was explained. We, as reader's, don't know what happened to the world to bring about this type of dystopia so we have no context as to what happened to the people of the story before the narrative starts. Another part of me thinks that was a brilliant idea because it forces you to focus on the "here-and-now" of the action, even if it is at the end.

I recently learned that there was a movie made of this book and I'm torn on whether I want to watch it or not. On the one hand, it could be fun. On the other, since there is not a lot of action in the story, I'm afraid of what they will have done to the book in order to make it appealing in movie form. If they add too much, it takes away from the original text the same way it does when they leave things out.

No comments:

Post a Comment