Monday, August 11, 2014

2014 Reading: Horns

I saw the preview for this movie and I have to admit, I got really excited for it. I had never heard of it and I didn't even know it was a book until it came across the desk at work and I got it out right that second. I'm excited to see Daniel Radcliffe do something like this. I want to see him do darker things (I don't count the Woman in Black, because I want tough, cursing Daniel). I also had no idea that Joe Hill is Stephen King's son.

You can tell where he gets his sense of humour from, though.

I found myself laughing during parts of this book. I think it was the dry, dark humour of the main character that appealed to the funny little part of my brain that laughs at inappropriate things. Schadenfreude.

On the whole, it was a very entertaining book and I am anxious to see if some of my favorite bits will be translated on the screen.

There were some good parts about religion in there, too. (I'm guessing "Joe" at least shares some of his views with his dad). Why do we think of the devil as an enemy? If God warns us not to sin because it's bad and Lucifer punishes sinners, wouldn't you think they are working together? Two sides of the same industry? Going toward the same goal?

The ending, I thought, was also a good fit for something like this. It doesn't end all sunshine and roses because it's just not that kind of story. It ends like most things do: quiet and final, with as much realism as something like this can. People die, other people move on, and secrets are never really found out so that the rest of the world is better off. It just... ends.

Like life.

2 comments:

  1. Have you seen A Young Doctor's Notebook? If not, you SHOULD! Horns is on my "want to read" list! Glad you posted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen previews and stuff for the show, but I haven't watched it yet. Horns was really good. It was very dark, but kind of funny in parts. I liked it and can't wait to see what they do for the movie.

    ReplyDelete