Monday, August 18, 2014

2014 Reading: The Treatment

When you find out the explanations for the outbreak of suicides and depression, it kind of makes sense. We are giving antidepressants to kids at younger and younger ages and it has to have some type of impact on the chemical make-up of kids over time. And then, like evolution, it gets passed on to their kids and so on and so on until the pill is not going to be enough, because they didn't really need it in the first place. Not to mention that yes, most antidepressants can actually bring on MORE suicidal tendencies. Who needs that in their system when they're already depressed? Why would you want it in your system when you're NOT depressed? I know that this is a work of fiction, but this might be a legitimate thing that could happen in the future. Not the Program part, because that would be insane to think about, but the outbreak thing. Of course, with the way the world is, they would just make the drugs stronger and stronger until no one could feel anything anymore.

Don't get me wrong, I take antidepressants. Because I actually need them. But, you have to admit that doctors are just giving pills out to anyone who comes into their offices like throwing medication at it will make them go away. I tried therapy first, then medication, then I tried getting myself off the medication. I ended up having multiple breakdowns, slept 14 hours a day, and basically gave up on my own life (at the same time scaring the shit out of my parents and friends). In the end, the medication was the best thing for me. But at least I tried other things first. I didn't WANT to be on medication. Ask anyone, I HATE having my life and happiness depend on a pill every day. But without it, I cease to function. Literally. I just stop.

I am definitely not saying that now I am the epitome of mental health. Far from it. But I have a job and I get up every day. I even manage to socialize every once in a while. Sort of.

I honestly didn't mean for this to turn into a personal account of my pathetic life, but this book duo made me think about myself a little bit. I found myself mentally telling the characters "Hey, get over it." when I know for a fact that it's not that easy. That's what people have been telling me for years and I know how it looks from both sides now.

All in all, I really enjoyed these books.

No comments:

Post a Comment