Tuesday, October 21, 2014

2014 Reading: Gathering Blue

Being a big fan of The Giver, I was both excited and fearful when approaching this book. I know the movie is going to blow so hard and it will make me weep on the inside for literature's sake. BUT, I wanted to keep an open mind. At first, I didn't know any books existed that were considered companions to The Giver, but then I found that the only way they are related is a sense of post-modern life dictated silently by a government-type monster who keeps everything hidden from those who live in that society.

I liked the book. It was a nice short read (unless you are horribly good at procrastination, which I am) and the writing is just fantastic.  

I like the way Lous Lowry talks about color. Both in this book and in The Giver, color plays a very important role in the societies that she creates. In this book color tells stories, but you find out that those stories are dictated by those that run things behind the scenes. Certain colors, in this case blue, mean hope for the future, especially for the main character.

There are two more books that are considered companions in this series so I think that those two books will be next in the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment