Friday, March 11, 2016

2016 Reading: Gone Girl

#10 A New York Times bestseller



This book was never going to be much of a surprise to me since I saw the movie first, but I still think it is a really interesting story and I wanted to get a feel for this author's writing style because I wanted to know whether I should read Dark Places before I see the movie. Because I am definitely going to see the movie (mainly because my wife, Charlize Theron, is in it and I love my wife).

I love this book. The way it was written, going back and forth between the two main characters, skipping from different points in time. Usually, that kind of thing would bother me, but for this book, it fit so well with the style and with the suspense of the story. It NEEDED to be written like that.

The utter insanity of Amy, and Nick too when you think about it, is astounding. You all know that I love books, or anything really, about mental disorders and murder and serial killers, anything like that. This was amazing. To go through this story with Nick and watch him go through so many mental changes as time went on, from loving Amy, to resenting her, to hating her so completely, but then going back to loving her however briefly it was, and then just total and utter fear and pure hatred only to end up at tolerant with a hint of smugness that he thinks if he just waits long enough that she will slip. And then with her being so delusional about everything, knowing that as long as she keeps him afraid, she can keep him forever that way she wants him; compliant and loving even if it is fake.

This book was fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment