Monday, September 12, 2016

2016 Reading: Drowning Instinct

#30 A book with a blue cover


Oh. My. Gawd. This book. I had never heard of this book and then I read the description on some website, I don't even remember. We didn't have a copy in the library so I made a request for it and completely forgot about it until it was plopped in front of me one day.

I could not put this book down once I started it. Imagine Lolita (which is a favorite of mine) but completely mutual with a little bit of "Secretary" (movie, not book) thrown in there as well. Ugh. Love. I full plan on buying this book so that I can read it again someday. I don't do that with a lot of books. So, that means this one is worth it.

I love the way it was written; as a sort of flowing verbal narrative into a tape recorder. This means that the story could be considered unreliable because it is all the recollections of the main character and she even acknowledges that fact in the story, but it is still so compelling and interesting that you just don't care about that.

There are a lot of things happening at once, but the story doesn't feel overwhelming like some others do. Everything flows very nicely, even with the sporadic interruptions that remind us she is telling this story to a specific person. The subject matter may be unpleasant or difficult for some people, but I like books with a dark side to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment