Wednesday, March 14, 2018

2018 Reading: Sweeney Todd

#23 A book that is also a stage play or musical


It's actually called The String of Pearls, but meh, semantics.

At some point in the past, I had tried to read this but never quite got through it. I suppose I was just not in the mood for it at the time. I can say now, though, that it was thoroughly entertaining and I might be in the mind to read some more penny-dreadful type stories in the future.

I knew that the story was going to be different from the musical and I think I have to say that I like the original tale better. Some of the characters were still there, but they held different positions and some of them were in a completely different context than those that I was already acquainted with from the musical.

I don't think I could imagine having to wait weeks for the next installments to come out like they had to when this was originally published, but I suppose it was that or nothing at the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment