Tuesday, November 4, 2014

2014 Reading: Stolen

I. Love. This. Book.

I know that I have this weird thing where I like books about serial killers and kidnappers and horrible things done to people who don't deserve them... but... Don't judge me.

There is always this underlying sexiness that comes with kidnapping (I know not really, because in reality is the scariest fucking thing that can happen to someone and traumatic and everything), kind of like when we think of death as being romantic, or vampires being sexy and mysterious. Kidnapping and the idea of Stockholm syndrome works in much the same way. A kind of, well not "brainwashing" per se, but a complete psychological redirection of thinking where someone can begin to care for and even love the person that has taken them from what they know and completely taken over their lives.

And if for one moment you think: "OMG, she's cray-cray. Who could ever think that kidnapping is romantic?!" then all you need to do is look into your childhood VHS collection, pull out 'Beauty and the Beast'... and shove it up your ass. Because reasons.

I normally don't like books written in the first person (I have no idea why), I really enjoyed this book because it was kind of half accusatory statement and half love letter. It was beautifully written.

Honestly, this book could have gone either way (you'll get that more if you read it) and I think I would have been fine with both outcomes. THAT'S how beautiful it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment