Thursday, December 4, 2014

2014 Reading: Crash

Now, this is a book that inspired the movie. The GOOD movie, not the racist one.

There is one thing that I have to get out of the way first, I bought this book used on Amazon because I could not find it anywhere in the library systems to which I subscribe. So, to the internet! I bought this copy that said it was in "Good" condition and being a frequent user of Amazon, I had an idea of what that was supposed to mean... Obviously, the girl who was doing the selling did not. I know for a fact that it was a girl. I know her name. I know she was reading this book for a school assignment (probably college because this is not the kind of book that one reads in high school). I also know that she is closed-minded and ignorant.

Listen, I don't care if it IS for an assignment, DO NOT WRITE IN BOOKS! And if you ARE going to write in books, SPELL THE WORDS CORRECTLY! Jesus Christ... I tried to ignore your stupid obvious comments and useless rhetoric, but you insist on scribbling in huge print (with green and purple pens, no less) and my eyes kept getting drawn to your asinine  commentary instead of focusing on the BOOK! Fuck you and your judgement of this literature.

Anyway, now that I have covered that, I never want to think about it again. Ever.

I saw this movie several years ago and it wasn't until I was doing a random search for new books to read that I discovered that it was, in fact, based on a book. I knew that I had to possess the book as soon as possible. After much rigmarole, I obtained the book (tainted as it was).

I enjoy the darkness of this book. The continuous comparison between the bodies of cars and the human body is fascinating as well as sexual. There are also elements of life appreciation in there as well. Obsession with crashes and scars could be seen as an obsession with the shortness of life expectancy (especially in this world filled with fast-moving machinery) and appreciating the beauty of the damaged rather than pitying it.

I am not saying that everything in this book is completely sane and reasonable, but I do see the appeal of the other side of this fantasy life that the character seem to be leading.

After I finished this book (like I did when I finished the movie) I felt the need for a shower for multiple reason, both to cool off and to wash away the mental grime that built up from the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment