Monday, April 2, 2018

2018 Reading: The Merchant of Venice

#27 A book you borrowed or that was given to you as a gift


As with most Shakespeare, it is meant to be seen on the stage rather than read. One of things that I like to do is put faces to the names of the characters so that I can imagine who is speaking while I read the text. So I made a cheat sheet:


Antonio = Sam Walton (merchant, get it?)
Bassanio = Chris Hardwick (marries an heiress)
Portia = Lydia Hearst (heiress)
Shylock = Scrooge (miser)
Gratiano = Ryan Reynolds (hilarious)
Nerissa = Blake Lively (marries Gratiano)
Solanio & Salerio = Jedward (interchangeable and forgettable)
Lorenzo & Jessica = random instagram couple (sickeningly adorbs)
Duke of Venice = Judge Judy (harsh but fair judge)

After reading it, I can think of nothing more than seeing Ryan Reynolds doing Shakespeare... This needs to be a thing that happens, but he has to be a funny character. Maybe young Hal in Henry IV, or Dogberry in Much Ado About Nothing... I could see him doing hilarious parts like those.

No comments:

Post a Comment