Tuesday, May 4, 2021

2021 Reading: Of Human Bondage

 #41 The longest book (by pages) on your TBR list

Surprisingly, I have owned this book as well as the movie adaptation starring Bette Davis for THE LONGEST time, but have never once picked either up until this year. Now that I am done with the book, I plan to watch the movie as well and then I can scratch both off of the list.

There was a particular passage in this book near the beginning that really struck me and I knew that I needed to get it down so that I remembered it.

"[...]It is an illusion that youth is happy, an illusion of those who have lost
it; but the youth know they are wretched, for they are full of the truthless
ideals which have been instilled into them, and each time they come in
contact with the real they are bruised and wounded. It looks as if they
were victims of a conspiracy; for the books they read, ideal by the ne-
cessity of selection, and the conversation of their elders, who look back
upon the past through a rosy haze of forgetfulness, prepare them for an
unreal life. They must discover for themselves that all they have read
and all they have been told are lies, lies, lies; and each discovery is another
nail driven into the body on the cross of life." (pg. 106)

I also kept thinking about the Persian carpet that Cronshaw gave to Philip in Paris and said that it held the answer to the meaning of life but it he had to figure it out for himself otherwise the answer would be meaningless. I wracked my brain about that for so long until I suddenly, and out loud, said "IT REALLY TIED THE ROOM TOGETHER" and then immediately face-palmed with my fist. *sigh*

Despite my wanting to smack the main character in the face for his constant indecision and lack of self preservation in the face of toxic women, I really enjoyed this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment