Monday, May 19, 2014

2014 Reading: Between the Bridge and the River

This book is amazing.

I could hear Criag's voice in my head the entire time (two of the characters being Scottish helped that fact to not be weird in my head) and that really helped. There was so much of HIM in this book. I've read his autobiography (and LOVED IT) and you can't help notice parallels between nearly ALL the characters in this book and Craig himself. His feelings about religion, nationality, philosophy, equal rights, death, God, sex, drugs, rock and roll... They all come out in some form or another while simultaneously telling a much wider story with characters who seem to be too large for life.

The story bounces around so much, and normally when I'm reading that kind of thing bothers me. However, his little asides are so fleeting, and often really fucking funny, that I found myself almost more amused by them than the story as a whole.

I've been a big fan of Craig Ferguson for many years and I think that his sense of humour stands out in something like this. But it doesn't turn the book into a laugh-a-minute riot on every page that you close and forget about as soon as you read the last sentence. I found myself stopping every once in a while in the middle of the book and just thinking. I would stare at the ceiling of my bedroom (I like to read in bed in the middle of the day, don't judge me) and just imagining what I would say to Carl Jung if he were to visit me in my dreams, or to Virgil if he wanted to walk with me through the desert, or even to a televangelist about his near death experience.

It made me think about how I was raised as a Catholic, but not strictly enforced so that I was free to make my own decisions about religion (and have, with many years of searching, come up with the resounding answer of "I dunno..."). It made me think about philosophy, how I see the world and how the world might perceive me. About what might happen after I die (however and whenever that happens).

I don't know if Craig meant to put all of these thoughts into my head as I read this book, but something tells me he did. He's a very smart man who has seen more in his time than I think I am ever likely to see in mine. And he puts it down in such a way, so approachable and down-to-earth, that I think if I ever met him (after I make an ass of myself by fangirling all over him) I'll shake his hand and just THANK him for the book. For putting it down on paper and releasing it.

Art is meant to make you feel something. Question yourself, others, and the world around you.

This book is art.

No comments:

Post a Comment