Wednesday, May 14, 2014

2014 Reading: Gallow's Hill

Another of the Louis Duncan books that my friend gave to me that is just short enough to allow my limited attention span these days enough time to read in about a day and not want to kill myself afterwords.

I liked the book. The subject matter was not really something that usually appeals to me, but the book was just fast paced enough for me to get into it without looking too hard into all the flaws.

Except one...

When did the internet first really start to catch on? Because I went into this book thinking that, like I Know What You Did Last Summer, this book was written back in the 70's or something and people had no real ways of communicating or getting information other than telephones or going to get books from the library, therefore justifying some of the themes presented about the  fact that this little town still had, like, bans on Halloween decorations and divorce was something to be kept under wraps.

After a quick internet search... heh... it was around 1990 that the first website was launched on the World Wide Web. So it stands to reason that this book MUST have been published before then because the internet caught on like a witch house on fire...

1997.

...

Really?

Are you telling me that no one in this little town had the internet, cell phones, pagers... in 1997?

Having said that, I honestly don't know what I would have done with myself had I been in the lead character's predicament. Probably either run away from that place as quickly as possible or stop speaking all together and then moved the fuck away as soon as I was able to steal the car with a full tank of gas.  Wow.

No comments:

Post a Comment