Saturday, May 31, 2014

2014 Reading: Out Of My Mind

THIS BOOK WAS AMAZING!

I saw it while I was shelving in the children's center in the library and after I read the back, I knew I HAD to get it. The concept, if pulled off correctly (which it was), is a fascinating idea for a story. Frankly, I'm surprised it's considered a children's book at all. It was so well written out and mature.

The only thing I can think of is that it's from the perspective of an 11 year-old so that may be what gives it such a low rating, but it holds up as a good book for just about anyone.

I devoured it within a few hours of finishing The Scorch Trials and I am very glad that I did.

The concept of being stuck in your own head and having no way to communicate with anyone around you is something I cannot even fathom. I think that I would go insane with my own thoughts. The character in the book, Melody, is super intelligent but has no real way of getting that out there and you start to feel for her right away. I tried to imagine what it might be like, to not be able to express yourself like other people did, to begin to feel as if you were a burden to those around you, to be so intelligent but have everyone think you're not because of something like cerebral palsy. I honestly don't know what I would do with myself. I don't think I am a strong enough person to deal with that kind of thing, which just makes this book even better.

I highly recommend this book because it's a semi-short read and the story is fantastic. I'm really glad I picked this up.

No comments:

Post a Comment