Thursday, July 31, 2014

2014 Reading: A Child Called "It"

I heard about this book a long time ago in my sociology class when I was in college. It was on a list of potential books that we had to read to write a report. I, of course, being who I am chose the book about the drug addict instead of the one about the abused child. I don't know what that says about me, but whatever. This book was going to someone at the library and it caught my attention again after all these years and I decided to give it a try.

I am not ashamed to admit that parts of this books made me want to throw up. No matter how deranged I think my mind can be sometimes, I will never understand this kind of treatment of a child. I mean, I understand that the mother must have had mental problems aloing with her alcoholism, but another thing that just makes me sad is the general neglect of everyone else in this boy's life.  Teavhers, friends, siblings, nurses, doctors... his own father. They all knew what was happeneing but no one did anything about it.

There are two other books that go with this one, but I don't think I am going to read them. I think that this book by itself was a tale that needed to be told and gotten out into the world and the rest is just page fillers in order to make a couple of bucks. Not to say anything bad about the writer, but I think the story should have ended there.

It was an easy read, but also, I think, a very important one.

No comments:

Post a Comment