Sunday, July 27, 2014

2014 Reading: Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead

I saw the movie once, many years ago, and I remember thinking "This is hilarious! And also sad."

It's not really a secret that Hamlet is my favorite play of all time and I've seen just about every adaptation of it available. I love the speeches and the story and the characters... I mean, you can't go wrong. 

Except Mel Gibson's version, which I don't want to talk about.

 I love thinking about these two characters as they appear in this play. Their lives begin with the summons to Elsinore. There is literally NOTHING before that for either of them. They begin not knowing who they are or where their going and must learn so along the way. They meet everyone and around every corner is a foreshadowing of death but they don't know it yet. And just when they find out who they are and feel like they've accomplished something in this small world they've been thrust into, they are executed. Thus dies two characters who never really lived.

I think they best part was the very last scene and Guildenstern seems to go through all five stages of grief in a mere moment. Brilliant.

Now I wanna watch the movie again.

And the players! I don't think I've laughed as hard as I have at the first meeting they have with the traveling players.

This was a nice little detour before I get back to the rest of the books I have piled up to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment