Friday, July 25, 2014

Shitty 80's Horror Movie Review: Pet Semetary (franchise)

Okay, so since I didn't post last week (because I am lazy) I decided to combine the two in this series to make up for it.

I had never seen these movies before, but it's one of those things that you always hear about from other people.

There are some things I would like to know though, like:

What the fuck was up with the mom in the first one and her story about her sister? It had NO bearing whatsoever in the story line.

Why did the old guy, who KNEW that burying things in the crop circle (because that place was, like, 20 miles away from the actual pet semetary) would turn them into evil flesh eating zombies, tell that dude about it in the first place? So the fucking can got run over by a truck. Shit happens. Get another fucking cat. Ugh. People are stupid.

Pet Semetary (1989)

Pet Semetary II (1992)

1 comment:

  1. Alright, I think this deserves an answer.
    First of all, the book, and so the first movie, deals not only with death, but with love and possession as well. Big part of it is about longing to possess something you love, despite whatever is keeping the loved one away, be it death, as an exaggerated example. Owning the subject of love is finally destructive. This was to answer the second question philosophically. Now, as for the plot, there's a great excuse for the old man: hardly has anyone ever seen what happens to human beings that are buried in the sacred ground. The only human that was actually resurrected only became evil in a harmless manner. Other than that, the sematary would work as a valuable lesson about life and death, as no pet was murderous, only slow and somewhat dull.
    Now, the story with the sister is a perfect example of how "sometimes dead is better". Symbolically, it leads to the other end of the line, showing how some obstacle you cannot overcome, a fatal disease in our case, can turn your feelings towards someone against them, or even yourself. The little girl is haunted, because she feels remorse, even if her only "crime" was most likely fictional. Also it serves the storyline, explaining the woman's fear of death.
    Thanks for your time and I apologize if I became boring, but pet sematary is one of my all time favourite books and movies and I'm glad I got the chance to express my opinion.

    ReplyDelete